Planning for the year-end giving season is in full swing throughout the nonprofit sector. In 2009, giving in December alone brought in about 1/3 of the fundraising dollars to nonprofits. And in 2010, online giving is expected to bring in more donations than ever, after having seen a 46% increase in online revenue between 2008 and 2009.
At Causes, the application on Facebook, we’re releasing huge improvements to our fundraising and communications tools just in time for the year-end giving season. Nonprofits have already raised over $26 million using Causes — and to start the giving season off, we recently announced that your causes will soon be able to publish to members’ News Feeds (like a Fan Page can now). Once you’ve built a vibrant online community, the end of the year is the perfect time to make a fundraising appeal.
Facebook users are more motivated to donate to specific projects rather than general fundraising appeals. Causes has just updated their Fundraising Projects feature so nonprofits can effectively do project-based fundraising campaigns through Facebook.
Using this tool, the National Wildlife Federation has raised over $100,000 for their oil spill work in the Gulf Coast. The Humane Society of the United States raised $20,000 in 6 days, all through their cause, to fund a team of journalists documenting the seal slaughter in Canada. And Camfed raised $4,500 to build a roof on a school in Malawi, then turned around and funded another $3,386 project to give shoes to schoolgirls in Zimbabwe.
The new Fundraising Projects have a Google Maps integration…
Read the rest of the post at: http://www.nten.org/blog/2010/09/03/how-use-causes-your-yearend-fundraising-appeal
- Read cause bulletins right in your News Feed, the first page you see when you sign into Facebook.
- Search for causes in Facebook. Before, your cause was searchable in the Causes application but not the main Facebook search. Not anymore!
- Feature your causes in the Likes and Interests section of your Facebook profile.
We’re looking forward to seeing the inspiring things you do with your causes after these improvements.
Do you want a free trip to Africa with the Global Fund? We’ll pick the person who gathers the most support for the campaign. Here is what you need to do:
- Click on http://www.causes.com/fighthiv and click invite your friends (or use this link: http://apps.facebook.com/causes/petitions/466/invite?step=0 ) and invite as many of your friends to sign up as possible (be sure to publish the link on your profile too).
- Gather support elsewhere. Write to blogs you know, persuade anyone that can reach a big audience to promote the campaign, host promotional events at your local club. Persuade employees to sign up. Really innovative promotional ideas will go down well here.
- Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org telling us who you are, how many people you have recruited and what you did to promote the campaign.
*Quick note: For legal reasons, this competition is only open to residents of Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Norway, Sweden, The Netherlands, The United States and the United Kingdom. You must be at least 21 years old as of the date of entry. Full terms and conditions are available here: http://www.theglobalfund.org/documents/bornhivfree/bornhivfree_contest_officialrules.pdf
Thanks to everyone who joins us in the fight to end HIV.